MRS. PREMA KOTIAN
( HEAD MISTRESS)
Mrs. Prema Kotian, B.Sc., B.Ed.
Purshottam High School,
Kher Nagar, Road Number 6, Bandra East,
Mumbai- 400 051.
From humble beginnings come great things. I believe my journey has been the same. I started off as a teacher in 1985 in the Primary Section at Purushottam High School, 8 years in the Secondary Section and today I have completed 25 years as Principal. My journey has helped me understand the humble beginnings of the students attending our school who do not always come from a privileged background. Therefore, my goal has always been to help them overcome their shortcomings by providing the best support at the school and I am glad to say that I have had the opportunity to see many students bloom like flowers.
My inspiration throughout my career has been my father, Lion Principal K.B. Kotian, the Founder & Principal of Purushotttam High School. He started this school from scratch and with sheer hard work managed to grow the institution from just 100 students to 4800 students in the past 50 years. Besides being an excellent motivator, he was a great administrator and a teacher. He was the backbone of this institution and has played a great part in everything that I have achieved today. I have, indeed, learnt a lot from him.
My goal for our students is to inspire them to become life-long learners, effective communicators and innovative global citizens who impact the world. Hence, our mission is to provide quality education that encourages every student to realize their inherent potential to the fullest. Therefore, our school provides facilities like Abacus, UCMAS, English Lab, Computer Lab, Mini Science Centre and The Science Lab.
I have dedicated 13 years of my life to Kathak. Dance has taught me the importance of discipline and art. It has been a great way to build invaluable social skills. I want my students develop the same . Therefore, we provide co-curricular activities like Karate, Folk Dance, Music Classes, Skill Development Courses, Chess, Basketball, etc. Our school also participates in various academic, non-academic, inter-school competitions and encourage the students for their all round development. These competitions pave way for the students to showcase their inherent talents and build self confidence at the same time.
I believe networking is essential for one’s growth. I have been the main convener of H Ward comprising of 110 schools for the past decade. I have been a member of the Flying Squad for the SSC and HSC Examination Board. I am an active member of the BIRD (BrihanMumbai Inter-school Republic Day) Committee which helps in sowing the seeds of patriotism, peace and harmony among students. This has helped me explore and grow professionally through interactions with like-minded people.
We are aware that most of our students do not come from privileged homes. Keeping this in mind, we like to make sure we do our best on the health front as well. Our aim is to inculcate the importance of good health at a young age. Our school holds regular medical camps for eye check-ups as well as dental check ups. Dental health is one of the most neglected aspects of health and it can be very expensive. In 2018, we opened up our dental clinic “Tooth Angels” to provide our students with the best treatment and care at an early age.
Being a woman in this world can be difficult, but I have found strength through the challenges of my life. My students are my children and my work as a teacher and care-giver has helped me be a better mother and home-maker. I hope that my achievements as a woman are an example for the present and future generations of women to know that you can achieve your dreams through any kind of hardship. I believe that every challenge is an opportunity.
Finally, I think education is not a preparation for life but education is life itself. It is an investment that provides the best dividend. I truly believe that together we can make a difference and I would like to continue working towards my dream with the support of my entire staff, family and well-wishers.
Role of Women in the Future:
‘ Women are the future.’ In recent years, we have witnessed marvelous achievements of women in the field of arts, science, as well as sports. I believe that women can play a great role in pushing boundaries at the workplace by breaking the glass ceiling. At home, she can plant the values of gender equality and respect. It is certain that strength, energy and in particular, the female instinct is what pushes us into the future.
Awards and Recognition:
- Best Principal Award by International Institute of Education & Management, New Delhi 2015.
- National Mahila Ratan Gold Medal Award by Indian Solidarity Council, New Delhi 2015
- “ An Educationist Award ” by International Human Rights Council 2015
- Life Time Achievement Award by National & International Compendium, New Delhi
- Certificate for Exceptional Contribution in Co- Curricular Activities by Shri Kapil Patil Member of Maharashtra Legislative Assembly 2016
- Efficient Administrator – Headmistress Award by Maharshtra State Shishak Sena. Mumbai-2013-14
- Certificate of Honour by Brihan Mumbai Association Heads of Sec & Higher Sec Edn.
- Yashwant Puraskar Award
- Kalavibhushan Award by Kalabharti Child Art Development Institute2015
- Global Achievers Foundation Bharat Gaurav Puraskar for outstanding Achievement
- Head Mistress Award from Ratnagiri Zilla Marathi Dnyati
- Bharat Ratna Maulana Abdul Kalam Azad Award -2016
- Co-Convener for H-Ward for Past 10 years
- Main Convener H-Ward from 2009 till date
- Qualified Kathak Dancer
- Member of Bird Committee- Planning & Execution
- Completed Level – 1 Graphology Course
- Active Member of Lions Club
- Appreciation Award from Lions Club of Four Bunglows for social and cultural activities.
Awards in Science Exhibition at Ward Level
- Best School Award in Science Exhibition for the year 2016-17
- Best School Award in Science Exhibition for the year 2017-18
- Best School Award in Science Exhibition for the year 2018-19
Awards at Zonal Level Science Exhibition as a Convener
- First Prize at St. Charles High School, Vakola in 2011-12
- Second Prize at St. Mary’s High School. Kalina In 2013-14
- Third Prize at St. Joseph’s High School, Bandra West in 2014-15
- Second Prize at St. Elias High School, Khar West, in 2018-19
- Best Women Entrepreneur Award by Billawa Chamber of Commerce & Industry on 9th March 2019.